Let’s face it, sometimes you just can’t control the situation. That idea alone can be stressful. BUT, there is good news. The only thing you can control is your response to the situation. Wait, how is this good news?
Well, when we learn to change the way we respond to stress or situations that we cannot control, we can manage those overwhelming feelings in a way that allows us to take time for ourselves, which in turn will give us back the energy to show up for what truly matters.
Here are 20 feel-good ideas to help you let go of that stress that just keeps stressing you out:
- Just talk it out. Talk and vent about things that have been bothering you. Don’t know who to vent to? HERE is a great service of certified listeners that are ready to listen
- Spend quality time with friends, family or anyone in your circle.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Declutter and find simplicity. Remember, less is more. A minimalist space inspires a clear mind.
- Know your boundaries and say NO. Don’t people please, put your needs first.
- Eat food that makes you feel good.
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Drink lots of water! Our favourite is adding lemon and cucumbers to your morning beverage.
- Journal and jot down your thoughts. You may even notice patterns within yourself over time.
- Take five minutes and think about your thoughts. Sounds crazy, but what are you feeling? What thoughts are you hearing? Can you recognize early signs of stress or triggers?
- Just move. Try yoga or pilates, these are great for the mind, body and soul.
- Meditate and self-wander. Meditation and mindfulness can help you become more self aware. You can learn more about yourself, to be your best self.
- Do less and listen to your body when it’s tired. Take breaks when you need them without feeling guilty.
- Be present. Just be here today and enjoy this moment because you’ll never be in it again. Let your worries of the past and future pass.
- Do more of what feels good and what comes naturally to you. Use your time to prioritize these moments that bring joy and productivity.
- Distance yourself from energy draining activities and people. Do more of what brings you joy and energy.
- Breathe and breathe again. Deep and slower breathing will relax you instantly.
- Go easy on yourself and be kind. Treat yourself like you treat your best friend.
- Rest, sleep, repeat. Set a sleep schedule to make sure you’re getting the rest you need.
- Wander outdoors and in nature. Release your creativity and try things that inspire you.
- Reflect on your strengths and be grateful for how far you’ve come and all you have.
Now, what are we waiting for? Let's normalize doing more of what makes us feel good and less of what doesn't. When situations arise that are out of our control, return back to this list to help control your response.