Being your best self is more than just about feeling good physically, it’s also about feeling good emotionally, intellectually and socially. But, how do I do that? Well, it sounds overwhelming, we know. But, when you break it down, it’s a lot easier than it looks.
Let’s take a quick look at how to be your best self and feel good from a holistic perspective.
FEELING GOOD EMOTIONALLY ~ Self-wander, Reflect, Embrace Inner Connection. Just be with yourself. But, how?
- Write in a journal.
- Be in nature.
- Try therapy.
- Create and embrace art.
- Listen to music.
- Take time away from obligations.
- Recognize what gives your life meaning and do it more.
- Act in ways that support your values.
- Express feelings in a healthy way. Don’t hold back.
- Be proud of how far you’ve come. Recognize your strengths.
- Be still. Do something comforting and relaxing.
FEELING GOOD PHYSICALLY ~ Push, Move, Care for your body. But, how?
- Take a walk when you can.
- Get enough rest. 7-8 hours of sleep a night feels good.
- Stay hydrated.
- Eat food that makes your physical self happy.
- Wear clothes that make you feel-good.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Get that massage you’ve been wanting.
- Be sexual. With yourself or someone. Just do it.
- Embrace the sun when it’s out.
- Try a new fitness class.
- Use personal care products that have clean ingredients.
FEELING GOOD INTELLECTUALLY ~ Engage, Challenge and Stimulate. Kind of like a work out, but for the mind. And, how do I do that?
- Distance yourself from distractions.
- Learn new things. Read a new book or take that course you’ve been wanting to take.
- Advocate for what you believe in.
- Solve a puzzle.
- Play a board game with good company.
- Go to a museum.
- Try something you’ve never done before.
- Listen to a podcast on your long drives.
- Watch a movie.
- Learn a new language.
- Talk and talk some more.
- Teach someone something.
- Begin a new hobby.
- Explore creative writing or poetry.
FEELING GOOD SOCIALLY ~ Strengthen, Nurture and Deepen Relationships. But, how?
- Spend time with likeminded people.
- Do fun activities with your circle of friends.
- Have stimulating conversations.
- Go on that date you’ve been wanting to go on.
- Call your parents and catch up with them.
- Meet new people. Perhaps, at that event you’ve been waiting to go to?
- Take breaks from the internet and social media.
- Practice personal boundaries.
- Say your goodbyes to toxic people.
- Network with new people.
- Volunteer and give back.
- Reconnect with that old friend.
Once we start feeling good holistically and ticking off all the boxes in each of these categories, we will see a positive domino effect in our lives. Try doing one thing in each category everyday and see how you feel at the end of the week.
Now, let’s get to know ourselves by connecting with ourselves and one another.